Facebook

Meadowbrook Stock Farm Barn

Scottish-born homesteader Thomas Murray came to the Judith Basin in 1883 and settled on 160 acres, running cattle and sheep on the open prairie. By the turn of the century, Murray's ranch, known in its heyday as the Meadowbrook Stock Farm, was given to wheat farming and to the breeding of cattle, hogs, sheep, and horses. The coming of the railroads in 1906 and 1908 promised better transportation to agricultural markets and sparked new towns such as Hobson and a desire for more substantial buildings.

Although Murray left the ranch in 1924—a victim of drought and horrendous pest infestation--the ranch today retains its original appearance, an excellent example of an early Montana farming enterprise.



Credits

Chere Jiusto, Christine Brown, Tom Ferris. Hand Raised: The Barns of Montana. Montana Historical Society Press, Helena, 2010.